If you or anyone else in your home enjoy red wine, you’ve surely experienced a spill at some point. Whether it’s on clothing, a tablecloth, upholstery, or carpet, wine stains are stubborn and hard to remove. But it may be possible with these tips. And if not, professional cleaning companies in Greensboro such as The Maids can often get out tough stains when all else fails.
Getting Wine Out of Machine-Washable Fabric
When you can throw it in the washing machine, the stain removal process is much easier. The key is in the pre-treatment.
- As soon as possible, dab the stain with a damp cloth while still wet to absorb the wine. Don’t rub, or the stain may spread.
- Stretch the material across an open surface like a bowl and pull taut. Secure with a rubber band.
- Apply salt to cover the stain. It will absorb the wine in about 5 minutes.
- Boil water and carefully pour it over the stain.
- Wash in your washing machine on the hot water setting. If the stain didn’t come out, don’t put it in the dryer. Drying will set the remaining stain.
These steps work on any machine-washable material from clothing to cloth napkins to tablecloths. Do not use on dry-clean only fabric.
Removing Wine Stains from Carpet
Carpet can’t be thrown in the washing machine, so here’s what to do if you spill wine on the carpet:
- Use a dry cloth to soak up as much of the wine as possible, as soon as possible. Remember to dab, don’t rub.
- Pour a little cold water directly on the stain, then dab the stain some more.
- Mix 3 parts water to 1 part baking soda and apply it to the stain.
- Allow to dry, then vacuum.
- Blot stain to soak up the wine.
- Mix 2 cups of warm water with one tablespoon of vinegar and one tablespoon of dish soap. Apply to stain with a sponge.
- Blot until the stain is gone.
How to Handle Wine Stains on Upholstery
You can’t throw furniture into the washing machine either, and upholstery isn’t as sturdy as carpet, making clean-up a challenge. Try these steps:
- Use a clean cloth to soak up the wine.
- Mix 2 cups of cold water and one tablespoon of dish soap.
- Apply to the stain with a clean cloth.
- Dab until removed and absorbed.
- Clean with clear water to remove the soap solution.
If All Else Fails, the Best Cleaning Companies in Greensboro Can Help
Professional house cleaners are experts at removing stains from all kinds of areas in your home. If you’ve tried everything and the wine stain is still hanging on, call The Maids. Your cleaning team will pull out all the stops to remove that stubborn wine stain from your carpet or upholstery. Other stubborn upholstery stains may be removed as well as the wine stain, giving your furniture a fresh look. If you’re looking for cleaning companies in Greensboro that can handle tough stains, call The Maids: (336) 292-7805.